What is homeopathic medicine?
Homeopathic medicine is a philosophy based on the concept that your body can heal itself. The goal of homeopathic medicine is to enhance your body’s natural healing and self-regulatory processes. We provide homeopathic medicine in Indianapolis, Indiana, in order to improve your oral health while helping you maintain, or even improve, your overall health. Homeopathic dentistry involves using dental products, materials, and techniques that are safe for your health and will not have any negative effects on the function or health of your smile or your total body health. One of the steps we take at Premier Dental Care to safeguard your health is offering tooth-colored fillings that are BPA-free. Tooth-colored fillings and ceramic restorations, such as crowns, are also free from amalgam, which is potentially harmful to your health.
To further ensure your good health, our talented dentist offers serum biocompatibility testing to check for biocompatibility with certain dental products and materials. Dr. Marla Wilson is committed to keeping your smile in good health, as well as providing dental care that is good for your whole body. We invite you to contact us soon to learn more about the advantages of homeopathic medicine and biological dentistry.
How does homeopathy relate to dentistry?
One of the natural methods of healing available to dental practitioners is homeopathy. This system utilizes each person’s basic healing properties to achieve health. Homeopathy was discovered almost 200 years ago by the German physician, Samuel Hahnemann. He used principles that dated back to ancient Greece and Rome to formulate a science that is practiced in countries all over the world.
The basic principle of homeopathy is the Law of Similars, which means “like curses like.” This law states that a homeopathic remedy can cure an illness if it produces similar symptoms in a healthy person as those of the illness. For example, if a person came down with a stomachache, fever, and chills, a homeopathic practitioner would prescribe a remedy that would cause the same symptoms in a healthy person. The remedy would activate the body’s defenses and eliminate the problem. The remedies used in homeopathic medicine are dilutions of natural substances derived from vegetable or mineral sources, not drugs or chemicals.
The second law of homeopathy is the Law of Proving, which explains how these remedies have been discovered. This involves the modern scientific method and a double blind study (where the doctors and subjects don’t know what is being tested). A substance is given to numerous healthy people and the resulting symptoms are noted. The consistent symptoms are then recorded in the Materia-Medica, the reference book for homeopathy, so this information is available for practitioners who wish to cure the same symptoms in an ill person.
Unlike traditional medicine where potent drugs are used in strong doses to cause chemical changes in body, homeopathic remedies are effective in small doses. In fact, Hahnemann found that these remedies became more effective when they were more diluted. In an age of drug therapy, it may be difficult to understand why more diluted remedies become more potent. But when one recognizes the power released when atomic particles collide, or that only 50-100 millionths of a gram of thyroid controls our metabolism, it is easier to see the effect of small dosages.
Although an explanation of the mechanism of homeopathy has not yet evolved, speculation ties it to the electromagnetic fields inherent to all substances. But even though no exact explanation is offered, before a homeopathic remedy can be added to the Materia-Medica, it must pass the stringent tests outlined above. Furthermore, homeopathic remedies are tested more thoroughly than most drugs.
What does homeopathy mean?
Homeopathy is a system of medicine which uses microdoses of natural substances from animals, minerals, or plants. The remedies are non-toxic and do not cause side effects. Their purpose is to stimulate a natural healing response.
How is a homeopathic remedy made?
Potentization is the process where a homeopathic remedy is made. It begins with a dissolution in alcohol or trituration in milk sugar of the primary substance. Then successive dilutions and successions are performed to produce a release of energy, and thereby the homeopathic remedy.
What natural substances are used for homeopathic remedies?
Some of the natural substances used for homeopathic remedies in dentistry include the following:
- Arnica for pain from trauma: Perhaps the all-around most useful remedy for dentistry is Arnica 12x or 30x. Arnica should be routinely taken after any dental procedure involving a potential for subsequent pain, especially after tooth extractions, gum surgery, and pain from drilling procedures. Arnica can also help sore gums or toothache pain before one can see their dentist.
- Aconite for fear and nervousness: For the excessively nervous or fearful patient, Aconite 12x or 30x is recommended before dental procedures. One dose can be taken the night before the appointment and another one or two doses before coming into the office.
- Hypericum for nerve pain: Hypericum 12x or 30x can help relieve the nerve pain from drilling or root canal discomfort, and it is also useful in tooth extractions. It is primarily used for any procedure involving injury to the nerves.
- Ruta Graveloens for bone trauma and pain: Ruta Graveloens, or Ruta, is often used after any trauma to bone like tooth extractions or getting hit in the mouth in a way that loosens teeth and fractures the bone.
Homeopathic remedies can play an important role in dental treatment. Since they are natural substances and cause no side effects, they can be used with utmost confidence to prevent dental complications and alleviate dental symptoms.
General guidelines to increase the effectiveness of homeopathic remedies
- Homeopathic remedies should not be touched. They must be taken directly from the container into the mouth.
- The medicine should be placed under the tongue and allowed to dissolve.
- Do not eat for twenty minutes before or after the remedies are taken.
- Avoid ingesting coffee, tea, or mind while using homeopathic remedies. These substances have the potential of neutralizing the effects of the remedies.
- Do not store homeopathic remedies in areas that contain such products as ether, camphor, perfumes, or other highly volatile substances. These types of products will neutralize the homeopathic remedies.
- When the symptoms start to abate or resolve, discontinue the homeopathic remedy.
Even though the homeopathic medicines help alleviate your problem, you are strongly advised, as soon as possible, to seek the services of a competent dental physician.