Posted .

At Premier Dental Care in Indianapolis, Indiana, Dr. Marla Wilson and our team value the quality of healthcare we provide our patients all year round. When it comes to fluoride, there are health risks involved with fluoride exposure. Consider this, since 1997, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has mandated that all toothpaste which has fluoride include this warning on its packaging as well as on the tube itself:

Warning: Keep out of the reach of children under 6 years of age. If you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing, seek professional assistance or contact a Poison Control Center immediately.”

Not only that but the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) says that the concentration of fluoride in toothpaste sold in the U.S. ranges from 1,000-1,500 ppm (parts per million). Typically, dental office fluoride treatments have fluoride concentrations at much higher levels ranging from 9,000 ppm to 20,000 ppm. This is 9 – 20 times more potent than the level the FDA classifies as toxic (poisonous). To compare, the EPA has set a maximum fluoride level of 4 ppm for water supplies in the U.S.

Too much fluoride may cause fluorosis, a spotted discoloration on the teeth. The Department of Health and Human Services proposes reducing the level of community water fluoridation, because it can also be found in sodas, juices, along with toothpaste and dental treatments.

In addition to fluorosis, fluoride can be overdosed on. The lethal dose of fluoride is about 5 mg fluoride for every 2.2 lbs. of body weight. So, if you swallow a tiny amount you should be fine. But any excess is dangerous. Also, if you are allergic to fluoride, you can experience skin rashes, headaches, weakness, joint pain, blurred vision, fatigue or canker sores.

Dr. Marla Wilson and our team work hard all year round to make sure your oral care is healthy as well as aesthetically pleasing. If you are looking for safe treatment for your health and smile, please call 317-787-6625 today!