Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is a disease of the mouth caused by tissue loss around teeth. Over time, gum disease can result in the gums no longer being stable or healthy enough to hold teeth in place, resulting in tooth loss.
Prevent gum disease with optimum oral health care. Although not at all risks for gum disease can be avoided, Premier Dental Care stresses the importance of knowing what may be an underlying cause. Some risks include:
– Gum disease can be caused by a diminution in saliva flow. Many medications cause dry mouth symptoms.
– Sometimes gum disease can be caused variations in genetics. Some individuals tend to be more genetically susceptible to gum disease than others.
– Smoking is a major risk factor for gum disease. Besides the vast array other ailments that could potentially arise, smoking can directly cause gum disease and lower your chances for a successful treatment of the disease. Chewing tobacco is also another risk factor.
– Hormonal modifications in girls and women could increase their risk for gingivitis, a precursor to gum disease. The risk is due to heightened sensitivity in your gums.
– Individuals who suffer from diabetes are at a heightened risk for infections, which includes gum disease.
– Treatments for various diseases, including cancer, can affect your gums harmfully, potentially leading to gum disease.
If you are suffering from gum disease, or feel you may be at risk for the disease, please contact our office at 317-787-6625 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Marla Wilson at our office in Indianapolis, Indiana. Making your smile healthy and happy is our goal!